Welcome to Topaz Class
|Teachers||Mrs Katie Spreadbury|
|Teaching Assistant||Mrs Jackie Matthews|
|PPA cover||Mrs Anita Foster-Bazin & Go-Active|
I hope you have all had a wonderful summer and that you are well rested for the new school year. I would firstly like to say that I am really looking forward to meeting you all and getting to know the children as the term progresses. We have lots of interesting learning opportunities planned and I am sure that the children are very much looking forward to our residential trip to New Barn.
Our topic for term 1 is entitled ‘Sensational Saxons’ and the children will be learning about the invasions, village life and how they have affected the present day. If you have any resources that may support this venture please drop them into class. For more information about all the areas of learning this term please see the topic web.
As part of our BLP (Building Learning Power), this term’s ‘R’ is ‘Respect”. The children will be developing a range of skills and we encourage you to talk to the children about what they are learning.
- Children need to complete their work in books in appropriate blue pen (no felt-tip or coloured/gel pens) or pencil, and hand it in on the appropriate day.
- The children need to continue to take the responsibility of noting down their home learning each week and any other important information they need to remember, in their home learning records.
- Home learning should only take approximately 20/30 minutes. If your child takes longer to complete the work, please let us know as soon as possible. If it is not possible to complete home learning on the set day, please let us know via the home learning diaries, otherwise your child will have to complete home learning at lunchtime that day.
Homework Timetable: Remember to hand in the next day.
- Monday – Spellings and Reading
- Tuesday – Reading
- Wednesday – Handwriting and Reading
- Thursday – Reading
- Friday – Brainsbusters (this should take 7 mins maximum) and Reading
The children are expected to read at least four times a week, which needs to include their Bug Club book at least twice. Please ensure their reading records are dated and initialed every time they read. Each time your child reads to someone at home and a comment is written in their reading record they will receive a reward point and a raffle ticket which will be kept in a separate reading box. The grand draw will be held at the end of each term, so get reading!
Please take time to read the class letter, timetable and topic web linked to this page to find out more about what the class will be doing daily and the work to be covered over the term.
A reminder that we have an open door policy at school, so please feel free to pop in to see me before or after school, or make an appointment with the office if needed.
Very best wishes,
Across the school we use magical GEM powers to help us with our learning. When we use these powers we sparkle! Find out more about our Gem Powers here.