Improving the provision of Physical Education and Sport in primary schools
The Government is providing additional funding of to improve the provision of Physical Education and Sport in primary schools.
The funding (provided jointly by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport) will be allocated to primary school Headteachers who will have the freedom to choose how to spend the money. The funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on improving the provision of PE and sport in schools. OfSTED will strengthen the coverage of PE and Sport with the ‘Inspectors’ Handbook’ so that schools and inspectors know how Sport and PE will be assessed in future as part of the schools overall provision.
The PE Grant Allocation 2016/17
In the Financial year 2016/17, Cherhill C of E (VA) Primary School received a PE Grant of £8,835.
The following provisions were funding.
- A qualified sports coach from a sports coaching company has been contracted to teach a range of sports skills to 6 classes during the week. The planning and resources used during these sessions will be shared with parallel classes so that all children benefit from high quality planning and resources. The qualified coach will share planning and ideas with classes not receiving his expertise.
- The coaching company is providing a free after school clubs (three terms for KS1 and three terms for KS2).
- The coaching company will provide training for all staff to ensure they are confident and able to teach high quality PE once the funding is removed.
- There will be additional lunch time clubs for those children who either excel at or require extra support with PE.
- Continual Professional Development opportunities will be provided to the PE Subject Leader to ensure she is able to monitor the provision of PE.
- Opportunities will be made available for the PE subject leader to be released from the classroom to observe the quality of PE being delivered across the school.
It will be the responsibility of the Headteacher, or delegated member of staff, to report to the Governors on the progress being made towards improving PE provision at Cherhill C of E (VA) Primary School.